Saturday, September 12, 2009

Some things really haven't changed

My daughter always told me that one day her brother would "become a teenager", our moniker for causing
trouble or at least annoying me more than she did. To her disappointment it did not happen while he was in High School, but I do realize, now that he has left for college, how much more I appreciate her.

She remains in my life everyday with a call, an email a text or a combination of all of these communiques. Even though she is many miles away I feel like I know her life and I am enjoying this new closeness we share. Today I went to see the movie Julie and Julia having heard about it from her among others and found myself immediately wanting to talk with her about it and even see it again with her.

She meanwhile found herself at a rugby game prompting me to wonder if a future son in law was on the field. With her I almost feel like I am there living her life along side her because she gives me so many details. and therein lies the fundamental difference between men and women those all important details.

My son has not really changed he still gives me the same one word answers he always did and Laura and I are not "newly" close we were always close I just did not fully appreciate it while he was physically nearby.

So the good news is things have not really changed. My kids are still the same great kids they were last year they are just not under my roof and that is as it should be.




on

ing





No comments:

Post a Comment