Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Empty Once Again

The baby birds were home, but I must say in some ways the nest felt even emptier.

I had kept myself so busy this fall it was hard to fully realize my new existence, but when they came home it made the reality starker.

Knowing the time was short I wanted to savor every minute of it, but alas I had to share -- with friends, family all who wanted pieces of them too. I wanted to just lock the door, bolt the windows and have them all to myself. Instead our house was a beehive of activity. Friends coming and going (mostly coming) family for the holidays and all of the intendent hustle and bustle that goes with holiday festivities.

I found myself especially sad when they got ready to leave, both packing up the car and heading out together and leaving me once again with my empty nest -- well not so empty there are the 4 cats.

That old saying you can't go home again is sadly true. They have changed, I have changed and our lives together are forever altered. Matt seems so grown up and Laura could not stop talking about when she moves out for good in a few months.

I do realize that all of this is as it should be. It is a rite of passage and a good one, but that makes it no less hard.

I can't imagine how birds actually push their babies out of the nest when all I want is to hold mine close.

1 comment:

  1. you are such a good writer, but this is a really sad post. I am so sorry to have made you feel this way. I wasn't trying to rub in your face that I am moving out soon. I am just excited about that next phase in my life. I will only be an hour and a half away though, which is a lot closer than I am now. I will come visit you, you will come visit me and you know we will still talk like 5 times a day because this is me we are talking about. Things are different,yes, but as you taught me, different doesn't equate to bad. Your babies both love you so very much and we are both still here.

    ReplyDelete